I came home every day the first week so exhausted. Getting back to the teacher "special energy" happens every stinkin' year. And it will never go away till June!
My arabic all came back within a day or two. I saw all my boys from last year now in the big second grade rooms and I swear I could have cried! I am a little like momma hen when it comes to my students. They run by my room to say hello and they get all weird and funny when I see them. They are so big and know exactly what to do in assembly, how to greet me, and big ole grins on their faces when I see them wandering around, wasting class time while going to the bathroom for probably the 4th time. THAT proves to me they are big. They get what school is all about ;)
And my current 1st grade boys are crying, can't sit well in their Kandoras. Don't know what to do with their "arabic" sandals when we sit on the carpet, can barely line up. Even if I yell "taboor" a million times (which means line up). It takes them forever to clean up, do their work, transition from activities; from carpet to desks, desks to carpet. They don't know how to push and shove at foosa (break/recess) to get their food inhaled so no one steals it. They seem to go missing throughout the day between English, Arabic, IT, music, PE or whatever specialty class they have. I truly don't know where they go. Their parents pick them up an hour before school ends because they're worried. And daily, they don't know what bus they go home on. So yet again tears begin to flow.
I tell myself everyday, "In about 2 months everything in my room will begin to work smoothly!" So we continue to do routines, sing SO many songs, practice their ABC's and 1,2,3's. Yes people, these are full on ESL students with a large amount of parents not knowing any English either. But I know that in a matter of time they will be able to function just a little more in English/Science/Math time with me. And then my real love for them begins. Right now...don't ask ;) We are hard at work.
Omair bin Yousef one of many public schools in Abu Dhabi, also my school, has 750 boys enrolled grades 1-5. There are probably more, the little kiddos are still rolling in. Being in year two at the same school, I have come to love and recognize so many kids. I think that is one of the best joys of a teacher. It is like a reunion every fall and I love that about my job.
Here are some cute photos of the year so far
Got a little love note with his version of the abc's, did pretty good!
YAY a few can write their name. This is Mohsen and since Arabic goes right to left, their poor brains are always on overload
Our calendar, pocket chart and number practice
We are trying to sort the kids according to what class they are in. They have NO idea and can't remember...BUT they are sitting!
I do have some sweethearts, that's for sure ;)
I am so excited for this year, with all the craziness, surprises, excitement and LEARNING that will go on...BRING IT!




No comments:
Post a Comment