Thursday, August 30, 2012

Renewal

I work out pretty often, always have, always will. Most of the time I dread it or feel like I don't have enough energy, but drag my feet to go anyway. I always tell myself, "The least I can do is walk!!" I'm definitely not one of those people who has to run or go to the gym or lift weights etc. but every day when I go I feel good. Refreshed. And a little more fit.

This past year many of my workouts have changed a bit. I spend a lot of my time in the gym doing cardio with my ipod (well Stephen's ipod) and have found myself praying majority the way through my time in there. Everyone crosses my mind (I have one of those brains that remembers everything and everybody) curse and a blessing. I reflect so often! So I pray for them. A lot of the time it's for Stephen, my family, old and new friends, my little kids in Kandoras or the people I surround myself with daily. This morning as I got into the elevator I rummaged through my ipod and thought to myself, "hmmm what will I jam out to today?" Carrie Underwood's new cd is so good and debated a few more artists. And then I quickly switched to our purchased list and old Hillsong-live songs came up. ( I have exhausted their newest live cd...soooo good. Buy it.) I pressed play and got onto the elliptical for 35 minutes.

One hour later I was still working out! Always a joyful surprise. Lately I have been desperate to "feel" God. I feel a little mediocre, a little average and somedays just blah. And I KNOW it's because my time and relationship with God is a little blah as well. I found myself worshipping for an hour on the elliptical. I became so focused on what God is doing in Stephen and my life. I became so focused on the joy that only the Lord can give me. The peace that surpasses all understanding hit me in the gym today. I needed that so bad. I was truly desperate for it. He lifted all my burdens, all my cares, my hardened heart and gave me tears of love and joy in that hour just by experiencing Him. The God that I believe and know is SO good.

I didn't notice anything around me for quite awhile. Eyes closed, eyes opened, I'm just glad I didn't fall off the machine. Praising God in the gym isn't so socially acceptable these days :) But I quickly looked to my left and then my right and no one had come in! THANK GOD. People probably would have thought I was a little cray cray!

I was quickly reminded of Jill during my "enjoy the Lord experience". My BFF and roommate whom I met in college at APU and immediately missed her and wanted her right there with me. I wanted to dance and sing with her; pray with her or act silly with her while praising Jesus. I wanted to share these songs and then get into a deep philosophical discussion about God with her!

Recently, I had promised and devoted to her that I would pray for her and I just got around to it today. Tears began to well up in my eyes while I was praying and begging God to do healing in her this week. And hatred for her disease followed very quickly after. I think I became a little more dramatic, so once again looked to my left and right, no one was there! A little relief came over me once more! (love you Jilly)

It's amazing where God will meet you. I've known this forever, but am always amazed when He pops up and blesses me and others with His presence. He is desperate for you too. I wasn't in a four wall church, wasn't in a Bible study, wasn't even serving Him, I was completely alone and just asked Him to meet me where I was. I needed renewal in my life and so, so grateful His mercies are new every morning!

"Heal my heart and make it clean, open up my eyes to the things unseen, show me how to love like you have loved me. Break my heart for what breaks yours, everything I am for your Kingdom's cause." One of my fav songs, Hosanna by Hillsong United. It is often on repeat :)



May you be blessed by this today!

4 comments:

  1. Emily,

    This is real grace! When Paul says, "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit" this is what he means. So refreshing to hear this you share this experience. And, a good reminder to me to do the same throughout the day.

    Love you,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. God uses our sufferings the same way he uses our healings, to show his power and grace. both are used to achieve in us & those who witness either of the two, the pure belief that He really does hold the power to save our souls! Before he healed the paralytic he wanted everyone to know why... He said the power you see today is the same power I have to save! In our weakness & suffering this same power of God is made known, because he gives us the grace & strength to endure it & not only that but with joy. Honored that He used my suffering to bring you closer to Him today emily. I teared up reading! He has given me such a treasure in you my friend, just by who you are, who he made you to be! thank you for sharing your life. I love you e.t.!! (By the way, I am glad you did not fall off the machine!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am blessed by your joy that exudes through this blog! I wish I could be with you!

    ReplyDelete