Saturday, November 5, 2011

Venture out

Since being in Abu Dhabi, although not long, I have already thought about so many people, conversations, facial reactions, lack of words and astonishment when telling the people around us we were moving to Abu Dhabi. Of course, like most situation I got all different reactions. People from all walks of life reacting to what they think the United Arab Emirates is like. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, their questions, their curiosity. But my intention of this blog is to open all of your eyes to a part of the world that maybe you didn’t know much about or ever consider going to.

I encourage you to look beyond yourself. Travel the world to know what is out there. Everyone you see and everyone you meet has an incredible story. No matter what they are wearing or how they talk or if you can even speak to them at all. This country, so far, has been so welcoming. And all the women are gorgeous!! Even though they wear an abaya , watch out…what’s under there is high fashion. Every once in awhile you can catch a glimpse of their stiletto heels!

Just tonight, my friend Katy and I asked our “apartment neighbors” to come with us to look at furniture. It was about a 25-minute ride and we ended up seeing a city, off the island that we may have never gone to. We met a very nice man (who shook our hands…we were not expecting that!!) We looked at a ton of furniture, bartered down and bought it all! Drove on the roads of Abu Dhabi and Al Khalifia, which in certain areas are crazy! We got to see a whole Villa town just the next desert over J Katy found this guy and his furniture on Dubbizzle, yes Dubbizzle is a real website. (Similar to Craigslist) We could have very easily run to IKEA, order everything and have them deliver it. But what is the fun in that!? Today we are doing the same thing, going to a few different places and meeting wonderful people in the process.

We have taken the bus everywhere!!! If you just get on it, you soon get to know the whole city! We have also met wonderful people on it as well. See, it is all about the adventure. So I hope that as I blog you get a desire and passion to see parts of the world you may not have considered knowing about or traveling to. See and meet the people in it and act on risky things even if you don’t know the outcome.

Whatever this means for you… Dream. Love. And throw yourself at an adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is a quick link on my tool bar so I think I'm always the first one to check it haha.... EMILY this is great! You are learning so much.... and I agree with your message to everyone, including myself.... exploring other cultures if you can.... because not only does it open your eyes to more of humanity but also the reality is that when you get old your body will not let you go... do it now!!! Also I had a dream about you last night.... I dreamt you were in San Diego with MollMoll trying to find her a home.... any luck yet?!?! Talk soon. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep yep! love this and totally agree.. which i why i'm moving to England in January :-D
    ~Lisa Ashley~

    ReplyDelete