Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Being a tourists in my own city

Although I am going to live here for awhile, I am still very much a tourist. I have adopted many customs already, but am still running around seeing everything I can before school begins. So here's a few pictures...Abu Dhabi at it's finest!

The Grand Mosque

Our tour guide explaining the clock. Showing that Muslim men and women pray 5 times a day and then the sixth time is showing sunrise. Depending on where the sun is, is when the call to prayer is.
The beautiful, detailed main prayer room. There are separate rooms for women prayer and men prayer. This is just the main one where a service is held and the reciting of the Koran, the text of Islam.
The entry room
Everyone must take off their shoes to keep the carpet and grounds clean.
A ceiling dome. There are so many build in.
Outside of the Mosque
Street view


Brought my own head scarf...lookin' good!

It looks fake! It is only 3 years old, so it is beautiful, clean and new!
Here I am in the center courtyard that can fit up to 22,000 people during prayer.

Fully dressed in an Abaya, I have to say they're pretty comfy!

Switching locations...
A bunch of us teachers took a bus tour around Abu Dhabi to get a look at the whole city in one ride!
Beautiful hotels, office buildings, and apartments.
The Emirates Palace
Fishermen
The Marina Mall. It is HUGE and amazing shopping.
On the tour
The bus we took

5 comments:

  1. You look beautiful in an Abaya! I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As we say in NorCal... that mosque is BLINGIN!!!! Wow there is so much to see. I hope your first day of teaching is going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your updates and miss you already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! Great Pics Em! such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel behind, but this looks so amazing!!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete