I really, really like it seeing that I'm not one to really buy the latest and greatest devotional book. For me, they are too limited, not very creative and are too easy just to read, put down and say, "I'm finished with that, check it off the list for the day, quiet time over!!"
Bleh. Quiet time.
I really do despise the phrase "quiet time" for many reasons... (but don't worry I won't judge you if you use it. Just choose it with purpose please and not just like 10 minutes out of your day to apply it only to yourself).
So here's my splurge of thoughts today on this simple little, oh so common term "quiet time"...
Reason 1: So being with Jesus is quiet. No. No it really is not. Or well, at least I don't think it should be. Well the listening part, yes, that's quiet. It's a relationship. It's communicative. It's chatty and crying, joy and praises and full of thankfulness. My relationship with my husband, students, sisters or friend is surely not quiet. Even when I am listening to them. Alright, I won't be too harsh. I know what "quiet time" means and what it is used for. But maybe I don't like the phrase so much cause it's SO overused and doesn't describe your relationship or time with God at all.
And isn't that the purpose of "quiet time?"
Reason 2: Not a fan of it because your "quiet time" should be all the time. Can't argue with me about that. I know people use the phrase as a time before they get going in the morning. A time of "quietness" with Jesus before the hectic day. I know it has good intentions with most Christians and people savor and love their "quiet time" with God. No judgement. Even I sit down pray and read most mornings. It sets my spirit for the day and I enjoy whatever I read, pray or listen to, to be a meditation throughout my day. But... Jesus calls people who believe in Him to be in communion and within Him every moment of every day. He knows your innermost thoughts and actions, so why only give Him your "quiet time" with a cup of coffee?
Reason 3: Because it is so totally time bound. Jesus wants to be in your daily life, your times of joy, times of grief, times of struggle and when you only have one separated "quiet time" during your day, where else is God to be? Why not have "quiet time" all day? Why not have it in the bathroom at work, quiet time when you're walking to your car, or picking up your kids, or the second you open your eyes in the morning? Because I think that's where Jesus wants to be... I think.
"The quickest way to redirect your mind to me is to whisper My name."
Growing up, one of the most common memories I have is my parents true, raw love for God. I remember my mom cooking, cleaning, listening to our sorrows, on the phone, talking with a friend, washing the car, getting ready for work or any daily activity...she would just call on the Lord. So many times I would hear her say, "Oh Lord Jesus, Oh Lord Jesus!" And she said it with love and power. I can hear her saying it now :) I joke about it these days cause I do the exact same thing. There is something so powerful in calling on Jesus' name in the middle of your whole day when you are so desperate for Him.
My mom (and dad) showed me what is was like to
When I went to college I thought every other parent was exactly like mine. What do you mean your family doesn't have worship time together? You grew up without talking about your relationship with God; or lack their of? Your family doesn't casually sit around and pray with one another?
Well... at that moment I realized my family was just a little unique and different than most... but I was never ever unsure of of my parents love for God and the amazing relationship they had with Him. How did I know that? Because they didn't just have "quiet time" by themselves before we woke up, it was all the time and the most conversational "quiet time" I have seen. I then, knew how and why my family is so special.
Stephen's gone for today and with that I get the whole morning to myself...to have "quiet time!!" ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment