Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Beauty of Africa

When I was young, maybe 10 or 12 years old, I remember a time very specific that I was reminded of this past week. My dad and I were driving. Not sure if Sarah, Cameron or Abby were with us. I think I had just finished a soccer game (surprise, surprise) and my dad stopped by the bank in Pleasant Hill. I remember it was raining and a lady standing on the corner with her son. She was wearing a yellow jump-suit and had a sign covering her face. She was clearly ashamed and embarrassed. I don't know what it said, but I knew immediately she was probably homeless or at least hungry begging for money. My dad had ran to the bank and then stopped the car in front of her, got out and handed her money. I watched with such amazement the whole time. I can remember my dad's face and hers too when he walked up and gave her some money. I remember the little boy with her so well. My dad gave us no prep, didn't even point her out, or talked about her, just stopped and did what he did.

He got back in the car, turned to me and said, "When God tells you to do something, you do it! No questions asked and with no hesitation!" He went on after that talking about when you are sensitive to the spirit of Jesus you have a restlessness that you can't ignore and you know you need to do something whatever it may be! He taught me a lesson the whole ride home that to this day I have not forgotten. I remember praying for a heart like my dad's that day. I wanted to respond like him. I desired to have a discerning heart like his and that I wanted to be the hands and feet of Jesus, like he did for that lady! I never forgot that woman on the corner and what my dad did that day! He blessed her through the grace and love of Jesus. I don't know if she believes in God or anything about her and neither did my dad! But that doesn't matter and it doesn't matter what she did with the money that was given to her, that's God's business. My dad knew he had to do what was asked of him.

When we were in Kenya entering Samburu there are many, many beggars knowing that tourists come through and buy their stuff or hand off money. Our guide closed the windows, locked the doors and got out to sign us in...it only took a minute. Stephen and I both have experienced the poverty that is in so many countries in Africa. It is like no other and we were ready for our hearts to be heavy on this trip! But then we met Daniel through the window. We talked with him for a bit. He was kind and had a good heart. Of course he wanted/needed money but we didn't give anything that day. He asked us to remember him when we drove out in 3 days. We say ok!

When we were leaving the park 3 days later we saw him again! Said hello, asked him questions and he asked if we had a pen or shoes or anything to give. We truly didn't have anything with us and I knew in my spirit we should give him money. I couldn't stop thinking that for the 1-2 minutes we were there, I could see Stephen wrestling with the thought too. Our hearts broke as we drove away from Daniel. I knew immediately, driving away that I should have given money to him, but I didn't. Very shortly after we drove away I asked God to bless Daniel with shoes, water, food and money. I knew from my deepest part that God was tugging my heart to give him something. I didn't respond or act quick enough. I had too many questions, concerns and worries in my mind about his true needs for the money. I have no doubt that God will bless Daniel through someone or something else.

Our whole encounter with this young boy made me think of what my dad taught me that day near the bank. I began to tear up driving away from Daniel and prayed, yet again for a discerning, sensitive spirit like my dad's that day so I can be the hands and feet of Jesus here in Abu Dhabi and as we travel.

God is doing wonderful, beautiful things all over the world! And if you have never experienced the beautiful life of many countries in Africa, I truly encourage you to. The love and beauty in some of the poorest countries in the world are there. Africa is unique and will humble you immediately if you take it in and experience it for what it is. Our hearts are surely there. They were there in 2005 when Stephen and I experienced Africa for the first time in Ghana and Ethiopia and are now in Kenya.

We will be in Africa again, someday!

2 comments:

  1. emily! i was telling ina something that happened to me at church last night...basically i felt that god wanted me to reach out to this young guy sitting next to me who was clearly having trouble...i didnt, but after prayed for him...that he know god loves him just the way he is no matter what. she asked if i read your blog and i said no...she sent it to me and it is eactly how i felt last night! such an amazing reminder. for me that was the first time i had felt such a feeling...i know now to just listen to god and trust him. im thinking about you and stephen and am so glad youre doing great over there! ina and joe are excited about their trip out :) blessings! jessica :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet Jess! That's awesome. It's a wonderful, peaceful feeling to have, huh? If you're constantly praying for a responsive spirit and guts to follow it...I think we all would be surprised at what God wants us to do :) So excited for the Cover's to come!!! Love to you my dear.

      Delete