Today I had my second group of kids come in from fousa (break)
and run to the bathroom, viciously splash water all over their face, and sprint, not run, through the classroom door
and slide into "home plate" a.k.a. the carpet where I begin my class everyday. I usually just sit in my chair, stare at them and start counting down for them to be seated and quiet in 10 seconds. Oooooor sometimes I participate with compliments on their slide :) The chatting (in arabic) is never ending and they are always ready to do some crazy ninja, fighting or wrestling move.
Corn is the “new” thing at school to buy. They get a cup
full of it with a spoon and of course don’t finish it during their 20 minute
break, so they come stomping in with cups full of corn! Oh JOY. It is quite hilarious actually. This week has been full of stories from boys dropping their corn, grabbing corn, inhaling/choking on corn, and of course stealing corn from every other boy who has it. This will be the rest of the year. I have come to grips with it. :)
My kids will take any chance they get to sneak a candy (now corn) in
their Kandora pocket so they can "snack" all period. It is usually food, occasionally a toy car to show their neighbor while we're singing songs, colored pencils as if they're going to loose them and even a balloon to drive me crazy with the sound. As if I don’t know any of this is going on. I see
everything!! I just choose to pick my battles and most days...these are the
least of my worries. One day this week they literally drove me to laughter-insanity. Yes that is a thing and I had lost it. But
with these messy, corn faced, head dripping with water boys... somehow I find a lot of joy.
![]() |
| Hamad Tayea has shown me his adorable, non-muscle arm every day this week! How can this not make you smile? Plus he's a sweet one :) |
It is the end of the year. We have 3 letters left and a few
more math objectives and then it is fun, fun, fun, from here on out. As for now I will enjoy the weekend that is ever so sweet when Thursday hits.
And for all the teachers...keep it up. It's a rough time of year. Keep working hard and have FUN wherever you are teaching in the world. It is sure an adventure! Still wouldn't change it for any other occupation... because it brought me to be with these crazy 50 boys.
And for all the teachers...keep it up. It's a rough time of year. Keep working hard and have FUN wherever you are teaching in the world. It is sure an adventure! Still wouldn't change it for any other occupation... because it brought me to be with these crazy 50 boys.

I love reading your posts on here, Emily! Looks like you are having SO much fun :)
ReplyDeleteI love that corn is the new thing..... almost your break and almost kenya!! whoohoo
ReplyDelete