NOTE: Those of you who are not teachers...find someone who is and have them explain. It is dreadful.
For me I try really hard to take week by week, day by day and enjoy the growing and learning that is happening all around me with my 50 boys. Not to say I am not a grouch or horrible teacher some days. But I do love my job...aaand... run centers a lot so I can have a mental break ;)
Many weeks I bring stuff in, make things etc. But this week was a hit! I made JELLO for the boys and presented it with the teaching of our 5 senses. JELLO is perfect for many reasons with kids but mine in particular responded with this:
1 it got them to sit down in a matter of 3 seconds
2 they listened to me! You could truly hear a pin drop
3 and of course taught the senses perfectly!
You can smell it, taste it, touch it, and see it! Perfect. ok you can't hear it but we had to "listen" to NOT hear it :)
Many of them haven't ever had JELLO before (I could tell by their uncertainty) Some told me, "Ms Emily, me...beyt" which means in translation, I have this at home. But of course I joined in and showed them it was ok to eat. They were perfect. They barely moved a muscle until I told them to. "Look at it with your eyes. DON'T EAT it. Smell it with your nose. DON'T EAT it. Poke it or jiggle it in your cup. DON'T EAT it And last...go ahead...EAT IT!" They slowly watched one another take small bites. It was so fun to do with them!

Smelling it

Tasting it
Just bringing in this small exciting piece to my lesson made them understand and easily grasp what we were learning. The English and adjectives are way to advanced for these little ones. So instead of yapping my mouth, showing them was so much more fun! And even though bringing in JELLO 1-2 times a year since I've been teaching, the kids always respond differently. I enjoy that.

Showing me he's eating it (really just wanted a photo taken)
Loving it!!
I need to remember this next time for bribery! What a great day and a really good week.
No comments:
Post a Comment