We are doing great! This update will be pretty positive seeing that I had a great day with all my 50 boys. They are responding to behavior policies, my reward system, my lessons and much more. I LOVE it. But ask me next week and there will be a day that’s been “the worst day yet.” Although as a teacher if you’re reading this you already know this is how it goes.
My boys are responding to kind words, love, PRAISE and listening so much better as the weeks go on. In the past 2 weeks I have noticed a huge increase in English usage in my classroom. They now can say, “Ms Emily, may I go to the bathroom?” I freak out every time and get so excited. So yes, they all go about 2 times in a 2 hour and 15 minutes time frame. But who cares, it was a full sentence!
Centers are working beautifully in class (they had never done them before). I set up so many with a limit on the number of boys or else a fight will start, no doubt. I explain every day about fighting and in my class, there is NONE. It is acceptable in the culture so unless they know why, they will continue to punch, hit or throw the kid in front of them on the floor and wail on them. (yes this happens) So this is how I do it, “Does Ms Emily fight you? Do I kick you? Do I throw a pencil at you?” They all respond, “NOOOOOOOOO” and then I say, “Then do not do it to the boys, do not do it in Ms Emily’s class!!!” I say this EVERY single morning and it had finally cut in half the amount of fights! YAY…improvement :)
My mom is officially coming at the end of March for both our spring breaks! I am beyond excited, so ready for a visitor and ready to see family!!! Can’t wait.
Stephen has started work! I am so stinkin’ proud of him!! This happened so much faster than we thought. Although, I will miss dinner being made every night, a clean apartment, him waiting for me when I get home and spending the afternoon hangin’ around the pool, gym, Starbucks, etc. Real life has hit! He interviewed for a job at Grant Thornton, top 5 Accounting Firm in the world, and was offered a contract the next day. English speakers and Accounting go SO well together in Abu! They are really excited to have him join the team and see so much growth for him. This is also a great opportunity for Stephen to receive International Accounting experience and hopefully will put him in some great positions when we move home!
We got a car! (Pictures to come) It’s a Hyundai Accent, red 2012 and we are leasing it! It’s perfect for us. Because, there are so many teachers here and they lease cars, many companies have created really good rates and specific cars to lease for the teachers. Pretty good benefit!
So we will spend our weekend running errands, NOT taking taxi’s and feeling free with a car!
Love to you all. We would love personal emails too with updates from you and your family.
yay!!! This is so great. I love you and miss you so much. Life is crazy here...haven't seen Derek since Jan.1st. I HATE BUSY SEASON...especially with 3 little ones. The boys are growing up SO fast. I love them to pieces, despite the horrendous moments. Can't believe the miracles you are working with your 50 boys!!! They are SO lucky to have you. Now would ya just hurry up and have your own!!! xoxo
ReplyDelete