Woke up this morning to a very foggy day! "Yay," I said to myself as I knew the boys wouldn't come to school till 8 or 9, we start at 7:15 and since most of our students come on the bus, and busses don't run in the fog...late start day here we come. It's serious fog, by the way, like you can't see in front of your car. Driving to school you don't even really know where you are and where you're supposed to exit. Cross you fingers and get to work!
Then I had a few problems with my school computer and I ended up emailing IT support and an extremely nice lady walked me through a bunch of steps via email. No luck. Then she said she will send out a tech support to our school. Okay...so do you need any of my information? And she knew who I was and what school I was at because of my computer. Who knew that there was such great, thorough support in Abu Dhabi? Impressed to say the least.
Came home from school ready for my massage, oh so sweetly given to me by my husband yesterday. He emailed me and said I had an appointment after school today! Eeeeeekkkk he's amazing :) Anyway, we live on the 15th floor and when I got out of the elevator it REEKED. Oh my gosh I immediately thought our flat had exploded from the pipes. Sewage smell everywhere. Don't worry...nothing wrong.
When I was leaving for my amazing massage I stopped downstairs to chat with the security guard and tell him that is smelled so bad on our floor. Well, through lots of broken English I found out it was the flat next door to us who had "issues." Thank goodness there was an answer to that horrid smell. So we all had a laugh and off I went.
Walked to get my massage and met the sweetest lady from Indonesia. I just wanted to hang out with her. She went at my back real good and relieved some pain I have been having for awhile. So wonderful. She said that I need to come back and see her :) She was such a refreshing person and gave such a good massage and her English was fab! Which is a plus.
Came back, decided to go to Starbys and enjoy some coffee. Well I walk in and two people said. "Hello madam Emily!" Now they've done this before but I keep thinking to myself...I think I come here too much. They know my name and what I drink and that I even love blueberry muffins! What? Love it. You feel like the "sweet people" at Starbucks are your friends. Oh and I swear I don't go that often, I have no idea how they remember me. THEN the manager comes out and says, "Hello Emily!" Geez...ok... HI. "Did you get your mugs home ok?" What? I couldn't figure out what she was talking about. Quick...quick... quick I made the connection. In early December when we were getting a few Abu Dhabi Starbucks mugs for friends and family they didn't have enough so they had to get some delivered from another store. Long story short she made sure 2 different people brought them so we could get enough the next day before we left for Christmas. So unbelievably thoughtful! I love when people remember things.
Lastly, came back home walked into our hallway on our floor and it smelled like roses and laundry. They came up and sprayed air freshener!!!!! Such a nice thing to do.
I smiled so much today. And am so thankful for people who do their job well, no matter what it may be! I was so pleasantly surprised over and over today. There is so much good in the world and PEOPLE are good. How could I not have an extra little pep in my step.
I was reminded too why I love living here in Abu/Internationally. I love the diverse groups of people. I love the English barrier (sometimes it's ridiculous) I love the people that make you feel like you matter and the people you make feel special because of a simple conversation. I know it's so cliche but it's real, especially when you experience it in your day to day life.
May you not think more highly of yourself than you ought ... we're all people and no need to be so self focused, gosh just be nice to others :)
Ok that's my lesson for the day!
Enjoy it.
Let's hope for fog tomorrow...
No comments:
Post a Comment